Javascript Menu by Deluxe-Menu.com
 
 
   

Chicago Cathedral parish to celebrate 125th anniversary June 10-11

CHICAGO, IL [HT Cathedral,/Larisa Fetterly] — The parish of Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral will celebrate its 125th anniversary the weekend of June 10-11, 2017.

Chicago Cathedral parish to celebrate 125th anniversary June 10 to 11A tour of the Cathedral will be given on Saturday, June 10 at 2:00 pm, followed by Vigil at 4:00 pm.  A light, complimentary ethnic dinner will be served in the parish hall at 6:00 pm.

His Grace, Bishop Paul will celebrate the Hierarchal Divine Liturgy on Sunday, June 11 at 9:00 am.  Light refreshments will be provided in the parish hall following the Liturgy.  There will be a special banquet at the Carlisle, 435 East Butterfield Road, Lombard, IL with cocktail hour and raffle preview at 2:00 pm and the dinner at 3:00 pm.  Ticket prices are $100.00 for adults, $25.00 for children.  Raffle prizes include Cubs tickets, a weekend in Galena, restaurant gift certificates and sports memorabilia.

Guests are asked to RSVP for both the complimentary dinner on Saturday night and the Sunday banquet by June 1 either via the ticket order form available on the Cathedral’s web site or by contacting Sue Miller at 847-204-1736 or isaa24@aol.com.

Chicago Cathedral parish to celebrate 125th anniversary June 10 to 11Holy Trinity had its beginning when a small community was established in 1892 as Saint Vladimir’s Church.  It is believed to be the oldest Orthodox parish in Chicago.  The first services were held in a house on North Noble Street and later in a rented house on Racine (then Centre) Street near Madison Street.  The community then consisted of a small group of Orthodox immigrants from Carpatho-Russia and Galicia.

In 1899 the church’s pastor, Father John Kochurov, commissioned renowned American architect, Louis H. Sullivan, to construct a church at 1121 North Leavitt Street in Chicago.  It was consecrated by Saint Tikhon of Moscow in 1903 and designated a cathedral by the Orthodox church in 1923.  Father John was martyred in the Bolshevik Revolution and canonized as Saint John of Chicago in December 1994.

In its early years of existence, the Cathedral parish served as a catalyst for the establishment of several other Orthodox parishes in the Midwest.  It has been blessed to have several saints worship in its sanctuary.  It stands today as the center of religious life for many Orthodox faithful and their families and serves as the See Cathedral of the Diocese of the Midwest of the Orthodox Church in America.  It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976 and designated an official City of Chicago Landmark in 1979.

Share This:



< PreviousNext >
You might also like:
 







  Powered by Orthodox Web Solutions